What is the difference between VA LCD screen and FSTN LCD screen?
Blaze Display Technology Co., Ltd. | Updated: Nov 27, 2018
Two modes of LCD screens, FSTN and VA, are often used in laser rangefinders and medical equipment. However, many people do not know the difference between VA LCD screens and FSTN LCD screens. Which one is more expensive, FSTN screen or VA screen? Well, how to choose?
FSTN LCD screen (also called DFSTN) and VA LCD screen (also called BTN) mode LCD screen display effect is black background with white characters.
Let’s take a look at the differences between FSTN LCD screens and VA LCD screens through the following five aspects:
1. Size directly affects the cost. Customers usually provide the viewing area or dimensions of the LCD screen. Our first choice is definitely the VA LCD screen, because the black and white contrast is stronger and there is only one layer of compensation film, while the DFSTN LCD screen has a double layer of compensation film.
2. Display content, that is, product function display. Customers need to provide pictures or flat renderings, and select a suitable driver IC based on the display content. Combined with the structure and cost of the customer's product, choose one of the two modes of LCD screen.
3. Perspective. That is, the viewing angle of the product (divided into 6 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock). Generally, it is indicated on the drawings provided by the customer, or an observation angle is given based on normal use. The viewing angles of DFSTN LCD screens and VA LCD screens are similar, with the viewing angle range being above 90°.
4. Working voltage. The working voltage of DFSTN LCD display can reach 3.5V, normal 4.5-5V. We generally recommend customers to change the working voltage of VA LCD screens to 4.5-5V, because low voltage will cause the black and white display effect to be blurred, the contrast will not be strong, or the screen will go black. Problems such as ghosting appear the moment you turn on the computer. The size is relatively small and the working voltage can reach 3.5V.
5. Driving mode. The DFSTN LCD display can be driven by 8 or 16 channels. For example: The laser rangefinder product has a lot of display content and 16-channel drivers, so the only choice is the DFSTN mode LCD screen. The VA LCD screen can only be driven by 4 channels (the main reason is that the current technology of glass manufacturers is limited).
Through the above analysis, we can see which one is more expensive, FSTN or VA LCD. Generally speaking, FSTN LCD and VA LCD have their own advantages. In terms of price, FSTN will be more expensive than VA.